H.R. is scary but it does not have to be. Getting it right at the start can mean the difference between success and failure.
Staff are the lifeblood of any small business, research confirms the most successful businesses recruit, train and retain the right people.
5 TOP TIPS for “dream teams”
- Begin with – a detailed job description. Highlight what the job does & what skills are needed to do it. Base your recruitment around your job description. TOP TIP: to avoid any discrimination develop a selection scoring sheet (more advice can be found at the Chamber H.R. Helpline) .
- Interviews – Avoid discrimination, ensure a structured and uniform approach, prepare the questions beforehand and always keep notes. TOP TIP: To ensure you meet your equality obligations make sure your questions align with your equality obligations.
- The Job Offer & Contract – Confirm all job offers in writing, make the offer subject to the receipt of satisfactory references and proof of eligibility to work in the UK. TOP TIP: to ensure your employment offer meets all the statutory requirements just log-on to Chamber H.R. and download the most current H.R. documents)
- Appraisals – Develop a progressive appraisal system setting realistic and achievable objectives, this will help identify any training needs and assist with personal development. TOP TIP: Setting S.M.A.R.T objectives allow staff to identify how they contribute to the business
- Culture – Developing an inclusive and positive work culture, keep staff informed with regular updates and any development plans. TOP TIP: Research confirms happy staff are productive staff.
A business is only ever as good as the people who work for it.
When you’re launching a business, we understand that there’s lots to think about, especially when you are taking on staff and building a team.
Its also not always possible to find and employ a H.R. Manager who wants to multitask and also drive the delivery van. So if you are looking for a little piece of mind and want to get your staff development right, check out the support available to Chamber Members.